Tuesday, August 8, 2017

#57 Bedroom furniture

Today was the second weekend we spent looking for bedroom furniture for mama's room.  We've been to at least a dozen stores and still haven't found the ONE.

I love looking at all the antique shops here in our area. I've never seen so many shops with so many choices. It's divine!

We wondered into this beauty of a shop (click link) that Taylor told us about. OH MY WORD!!

(This is just one really small section)

Y'all know how I am about smells right? (If not, you can read about it here) This place smelled just like my grandparents furniture store.

Did I tell y'all about it yet? I don't think so.  Well my grandparents had a new & used furniture store when I was younger. (I lived there temporarily at one point also. That's a story for another day) It was filled with all these treasures (some not so much) that my grandpa would buy at the auctions. He would come rolling in early in the morning on Saturday with his pickup loaded, and I mean loaded, with anything and everything. Appliances, furniture, bedroom sets, mattresses. You name it and he probably bought it at least once. There were times when he would show up with what I like to refer to as Pandora's Box. It was boxes filled with anything you can imagine. Clothes, jewelry, purses and tons of trinkets. I loved these boxes. I always imagined I would find a cozy old wool sweater or awesome retro shoes. A purse that would be the envy of all my sixth grade friends. The possibilities were endless. Usually there was just musty, old, smelly clothes that would end up in a heap, stored away in a side room. Granny had a special way of making the really bad stuff disappear before Gramps knew it was gone.

Anyhow, walking into this shop I was struck smack in the face with an all to familiar scent. It was like I traveled back in time to Ryan's New & Used. I was almost expecting to hear my grandparents voices in the distance. Saturday mornings at Ryan's New & Used. What great memories. Unloading the truck with the rest of my cousins. (free labor as Gramps called it) These were some of the best memories I have of childhood. With family, working in the store and always having a good lunch together once it was all done. Sigh...what great times these were. Oh and possibly why almost all of us kids have really bad backs as adults. Just a thought.

We did not find the ONE here either, but we did find it at another store. Again eerily reminiscent of my childhood. Needless to say it was a great outing for a Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment