Friday, July 14, 2017

#39 Summer Anthems + Sonny Boy

Today during a discussion at work I might have overstated my excitement at the fact Smash Mouth will be preforming at the Backyard here in Waco in August!! To say they were somewhat perplexed is an understatement.

It was the summer of 1997 I believe. My son the preteen was spreading his musical genre wings. That summer he introduced me to Smash Mouth, Sugar Ray and No Doubt. He listened to these CD's (a brand new invention for music listeners) over and over again ALL summer long.


Padrino (click here to listen) is one of my all time faves on this album. Most everyone knows All Star though, and possibly only because of Shrek...just a guess.


Sugar Ray was a good listen but nothing too memorable for me. However, No Doubt was the absolute best thing!! I think I must have heard all these songs a million times that summer. 


He would turn up the music as loud as he thought he could get away with that on that particular day and play his video games with his best friend sitting right beside him on the floor of his filthy room. Dirty cups and empty chip bags strewn about. Oh to be young and free! This memory is up there in the top of all my summers on this earth. If I close my eyes I can hear the music and smell the grass as he was learning how to mow. Keeping a close watch on Ms. Tay as she maneuvered her barbie bike up and down the road at speeds her now gone training wheels would not allow.  


There is something so great about summer anthems! As I am typing this I am trying to remember what anthems were of my youth. Hmm...

Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl


My cousin Cyndi and I must have worn out that record the summer of 1982. Oh the days before Cd's and fast forward. We would run back to the record player and move the needle right back to the begging of that song.  My first real crush was due to this face. Oh Dr Drake Ramoray. 

Prince - I wanna be your lover


Dancing on my bed until I couldn't stand anymore. 

Loverboy - Everybody's working for the weekend


There may have been some extreme air guitar happening privately in my room. 

Oh summer how you can make us feel young, alive and invincible. I type this as I look down at my new shoe couture and realize those days are now far and few between.  

Do you have a favorite? I would love to hear about it.  Post your comment below if you like. 

1 comment:

  1. Ha just realized its Dr. Noah Drake! Dr Drake Ramoray is Joey from friends lol

    ReplyDelete