Thursday, July 20, 2017

#45 Where I come from

So this post is obviously for my Texas friends mostly.

"I bet it's amazing in California" or  "Oh the ocean views and cool weather." these are statements I often hear when people find out where I am from. Then l I tell them what it's actually like. I usually respond with this..."Have you Star Wars... the desert Scenes?" "That is where I am from. Sand Dunes is our playground."

So in the spirit of sharing where the Gentry's come from, I'l let the photos do most of the talking

This is the normal view. You can typically see for miles and miles.


The Imperial Valley is located in the South Eastern corner of California on the Arizona Mexico border.


This is what most of the area looks like six months out of the year.


There is lots of agriculture and that steam you see up in the air is from geothermal plants. Renewable energy is abundant here.

Geothermal, Wind and Solar Energy 

The other six months out of the year the fields are sparse and heat is prevalent. Today's high is supposed to be 111 with about 35% humidity. The low is a cool breezy 85. So it's just plain hot from May to October. 


This is a motto believe it or not. Winters are pretty glorious though if you don't like...well winter. 
We've been in shorts at Christmas before. 

In the winter, this...


Turns into this!!!!

You know that whole sun and winter thing...
My hometown 


Don't be fooled. Prison Inmates in the maximum security prison just outside of town make up about 3,000 of that population. We're cool like that 

This is our claim to fame. 


Mind Blown huh


The top is Sea Level. I've often wondered if it's so hot because we are closer to HELL than anyone else. 


We have a few really cool things as well. 

Salvation Mountain. Google it since I couldn't even begin to describe this awesomeness

People often ask besides my family, what do I miss most? Well here are just a few.

fish tacos



Carne Asada...oh lordy are these good


People in Texas think I'm crazy when I mention Fries with Cheese. 


How can y'all not like Tri Tip? Oh Texas you are missing out. 

I think the Gentry's need to open a Raspados shop. We'd make a killing. So Good.

So the long and short of it is. I come from a place where since there is not too much to do, we spend lots of our time with family and friends eating great food, just the way I think God intended it to be and that is A VERY GOOD THING. 

"Good Food is a celebration of life" Sophia Loren. 

3 comments:

  1. Lol made me laugh! But you forgot to mention the smell! 💩

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realized that I haven't eaten tri-trip since I moved away!!

    ReplyDelete